Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Module 5 - Imaginative Bridges

I have played to the "On Point" articles and listened to how Robert Kapilow describes how music is written with a "hook" to gather the listeners ear and keep their attention to the song. The question presented is how to correlate this information into a classroom.

My first thought would be that a teacher needs certain verbal tone that is appeasing to the students. I have a drill sergeant's voice and I have to watch how loud it gets without my knowing, otherwise it sounds like I am yelling at the kids. I have listened to other teachers and how they control their voices, just like Kapilow's description of the notes being played in a song, and soothe their students into a better learning environment. Repetition of information, just as the notes in say "America The Beautiful" provides for a constant infusion of the lesson. Change the tempo of the lesson, just like Beethoven's 5th Symphony and the classroom starts to speed up.

Kapilow also describes how an tonal change like in "We Wish You A Merry Christmas,"or an octave change like "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is used to deliver the same pattern of notes, but at a higher pitch. This reminds me of teachers that get a tad bit frustrated with their students and their voices start to rise as they try to regain classroom management.

All of the Italian Musical Terms provided on https://angel.msu.edu/section/default.asp?id=SS11-CEP-882-730-896065-EL-14-204&goto= remind me of all of the art terms that are unique to my specialty. It is like a language all to itself, only to be used by those involved in that art form.

More later... I have to go read about "Typology of Hooks."

No comments:

Post a Comment