Saturday, February 19, 2011

Smaller Is Better

Why do some people feel that bigger is better? As I read the Susanka articles, I get the feeling that they think the only beauty in architectural interiors means having large, open spaces, with vaulted, or cathedral ceilings. Pump in some artificial lighting and decorate the walls with attached ornaments and the room will be like heaven on Earth. I am quite the opposite. My idea of cozy is simplistic. If you give me a small, two-room cabin, with windows to let in the sunlight, I am the happiest camper in the park.

The picture I chose is off the Internet (http://www.tinyhousetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/tiny-cabin-living-and-fireplace.png), but it loosely reminds me of a friend’s cabin near Rose City, MI. He has a three-room cabin that has minimal lighting (a 50’s style, round florescent in the “kitchen” area (this includes the dining area and wood burning, pot-belly stove) and a moth-stained 60-Watt light bulb in the “living” area (this includes two fold-away couches/beds and a recliner. The bedrooms are just large enough to hold bunks and have no lighting at all, just windows to let in the sun. Toss in a TV and hunting gear and you have his cabin…the coziest place on Earth. The picture is very simple, shows how natural lighting is provided and demonstrates how to provide and keep heat in a small, enclosed area. Smaller areas bring people closer together and tighter bonds result from that closeness. The furniture situation needs only to accommodate maximum capacity and creative thinking can have that furniture double as the bedding. Go ahead and keep your large, expansive rooms, with all of the unnatural lighting and appeal. For me, I prefer to stay out in the woods in a cabin that will bring its inhabitants closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment