Saturday, April 9, 2011

What Not To Wear - Imaginative Bridge

OK, I finally watched the What Not To Wear video and I want my hour back. I understand the concept behind What Not To Wear, but I disagree with it. Fashion is in the eye of the beholder and Pam was very comfortable with her old clothes. I found it sad that they threw away all of her clothing that she had so many memories with/from. Even I can make somebody look nice by throwing money at them and providing a new wardrobe. Sure, the two hosts know what they are talking about (fashion wise), but that does not mean that what Pam was wearing was wrong. The haircut and make-up artists also knew how to perform their trades, but again, what is wrong with being comfortable as God made you? One question: How long do you think it took Pam to reload her own fashion style into her closet? She liked the changes, but you could tell that she did not adhere to them.

If you have not figured it out yet, my beliefs are very simplistic. I like “Plain-Jane” everything. My ideal house is four walls, a kitchen, a bathroom and a place to rest my head. My ideal car is functional, has a manual transmission and no accessories. My idea of dressing up means putting on blue jeans. I can throw on a fancy sweater if it gets chilly out. I wear slacks and a pullover Polo shirt to teach in and I have 2 suits that rarely get taken out of the closet, but I prefer to just wear shorts and a tee shirt year round.

Now, I need to convert this into the What Not To Teach mentality. I find it very hard to tell anybody else what to do in their classrooms, just as much as I do not want them nosing into mine. I can take somebody else’s lesson, make a few tweaks and turn it into my own version. That is self-improvement. If asked, I would share my techniques as well and I would listen to constructive criticism, but in the end, it is still MY decision on what to change. If you threw money at me to improve my classroom, I would just buy more supplies for the kids to use. Sometimes, it is not about how fancy you can make the lesson, but how practical and intriguing, in order to gain and keep student attention. As the saying goes: “You can put a tuxedo on a goat, but in the end, you still have a goat.” I guess those two hosts could try to improve the goat’s wardrobe… that would be a fun episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment