Tuesday, January 18, 2011

CEP882 - Week 1

This blog is supposed to be about "A-Ha" moments, but I usually don't get those; mine are more like "O-Chit!"

This week's "O-Chit" is complimentary to Michigan State University as in "What the hell did I get myself into?" I am trying to finish up a dual Masters run in two years and I am registered for 3 classes + 1 deferred portfolio this semester. I need to get out of school and start paying back my student loans....Satan wants his money back.

I was reading along with the assignments about photography and I kept saying that this is all stuff I taught myself as I grew up. I have always been able to draw, but it was not until I was told to get out of an art class (by a gym teacher of all people) that I took art seriously. Compositions, contrast, emphasis...these are all terms I have been using for 30 years now. I have used everything from a Polaroid Instant Camera (crappy pictures), to a manual 35mm (great shots, but expensive to operate) and have moved up to the digital age (Kodak EZ Share-12X Zoom). I like to take tons of pictures of things that interest me, but can only find a few worthy of being called artistic. I use paint.net (a free version of photoshop) to edit my pictures and I like to store my good stuff in electronic limbo, like in a Facebook Photo Album. This way, if ever in the event of an emergency, I will never lose my pictures; I would just have to reprint them.

2 comments:

  1. So tell me more about the "imaginative bridges" you see between the ideas from the course and teaching...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a lot of visual training with my students. I teach them composition, contrast, emphasis, etc. as we proceed throughout the school year. These are the fundamentals of art and it takes building a good foundation before you can build upon imaginations.

    ReplyDelete